Lombard Central Presbyterian Church was founded in 1844 by Stephen Gloucester and was originally the Central Colored Presbyterian Church. In 1848 the name was changed to Lombard Street Central Presbyterian Church and was shortened to Lombard Central Presbyterian in 1939. The church moved to West Philadelphia in 1939 because the congregation had outgrown the original building at 8th and Lombard Street. Stephen was one of four sons of John Gloucester who founded the First African Presbyterian Church at Girard Avenue and 42nd Street in Philadelphia in 1807 which had 123 members by 1811.. Stephen was among the primary organizers for the Underground Railroad. William Still, the Father of the Underground Railroad was an Elder at Lombard Street Central Presbyterian Church.
Here’s an interesting article about our history.
Reverend Anna Grant began at Lombard Central Presbyterian on March 5, 2009. She is an ordained minister of the American Baptist Convention.